Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bob Dylan is the man

After watching the Big Lebowski I couldn't help but think about why Bob Dylan's song, "The Man in Me," was used multiple times. However, after discussing and analyzing the movie, it became extremely obvious. The discussion about masculinity and the role of the female characters in the film brought about the realization that this movie was practically based on the song. The lyrics scream out, "THE BIG LEBOWSKI!" Take the first verse, "The man in me would do nearly any task, and as for compensation, theres little he will ask, take a woman like you, to get through to the man in me." The Dude did mostly every task he was asked to, even if he failed at it. And in return, all he really wanted was his rug back, which was not a big "compensation." And the last line, is obviously talking about Maude. Maude got through to the man in Dude. The Dude was outsmarted by a female, which shook him to his core. "The man" in the Dude is his ability to have a child, and by using his masculinity to conceive a child, Maude got through to the man in him. Timeless songs like those written Bob Dylan will always be prevalent in our lives. I love Bob Dylan. The picture that I put in this post, I have as a poster that is hanging in my room. His songs speak to me and I can listen to them 100 times over and never get sick of them. He is a master lyricist and artist, and his songs will relate to something happening in the present, even in they were written 50 years in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment