Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Final Reflection

I was pretty nervous when I had to sign up for an English class having no idea what the topic of the class was, or not knowing anything about the professor, since ratemyprofessor.com had nothing to say. Then, when I got the email in July telling me it was based on the film The Big Lebowski, I was more at ease but still hesitant. I am a huge movie buff. I love spending Sundays by the TV, and Netflix has officially changed my life. So, I was excited to have a class based on a film. However, I never saw the movie and did not know much about it, other than that it was on IMDb's Top 250. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really comical and smart. The Coen brothers are movie geniuses and they lived up to their name with this film. I loved how on top of just being a really enjoyable movie, there was so much to analyze and discuss. Often in English, a lot of teachers overanalyze works so much that I begin to resent something I once loved. I was nervous this would happen with this class, however, I never reached that point. Everything we read about the movie was fun, light and interesting. And then our assignments were allowed so much freedom that I felt I was able to discuss what I wanted to, not what the teacher told me to. I am sad that this is the last fun English class I will take, considering English Lit is in sight for me for next semester :( I wish you the best of luck with the class, David. I would certainly recommend this class to anyone. It made English fun and I haven't felt that way for a while. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment