Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Quoting Movies


After reading the essay Logjammin' and Gutterballs I found myself relating to the men who attend Lebowski Fest. As odd as that seems. Every single day find myself quoting movies like Superbad or Forgetting Sarah Marshall out loud and my roommates and anyone around usually looks at me weirdly and, as usual, I say, "Quoting a movie, sorry." But on a rare occassion, after saying a line from a film, a person will be there, look at me, smile, give a simple nod or even and say the next line of the script. And right off the bat I know that me and this person will get along. We both have a mutual appreciation of the film and quite possibly the same perspective of the world. It also breaks the ice and adds a bit of humor to a conversation. I don't know what it is about quoting movies that makes people feel connected, but it does. It's so weird. I could have a whole conversation with someone and just be quoting a movie but it will make perfect sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment