Monday, November 1, 2010


I unexpectedly ran upon this picture while surfing the website I visit the most. The article did not mention anything about, or relevant to the film The Big Lebowski. But I was surprised to see such a blatant image of The Dude posted as the cover for a web article - because that would imply that whoever put his picture there expected the character to be easily recognized for its connection to supermarkets. My surprise probably came from the fact that 'Source for popular reference' isn't a category that I had put The Big Lebowski into. But for the sake of the reference I guess it doesn't hurt that The Dude, whether a reader may know him or not, is clearly standing in a dairy aisle of what could very well be a supermarket. But nonetheless, it's The Dude, from a cult classic movie that, from what I understand, had no popular fanfare. It would almost seem unfair to people who aren't aware of Jeff Bridges' role as The Dude in that they won't be able to enjoy the picture's significance. But I'm willing to bet that the people who didn't catch the significance behind the picture, which is probably the majority of people who came across the article, ignored it and continued to read the article with no trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment